What Thermostat Temperature Is Best For Summer?
According to a study by the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, nine out of ten Americans say they’ve rarely (or never) programmed their thermostat because they’re not sure how to do it.
That’s a shame, because setting a programmable thermostat one of the easiest ways to save 10 percent or more on your monthly energy costs – enough to offset the cost of installation in just a year or two.
How do you maximize savings using your programmable thermostat? The U.S Department of Energy suggests the following settings for an optimum balance of comfort and savings:
Thermostat Temperatures For Summer months:
- When you’re home and awake, program air conditioning to 78°F.
- Program the AC to shut off during the hours you’re out of the house.
Thermostat Temperatures For Winter months:
- When you’re home and awake, set the thermostat for 68°F.
- Lower temperatures by 10° for the hours you’re asleep or out of the house.
Overall Programming Tips:
- Program heat or A/C to shut off 20-30 minutes before you leave home each day; return them to normal comfort levels 20 to 30 minutes before you come home.*
- Program reductions in heating or cooling to begin 60 minutes before you go to sleep; return them to normal comfort levels 30 minutes before you awaken.
Be smart and save on your monthly energy bills with a programmable thermostat. Want to save even more? Contact Needham Oil Complete Heating & Cooling today to learn about high-efficiency cooling equipment installation options – including high-SEER ductless mini-split systems. As always, you’ll get COMPLETE service from day one with us – and 100% satisfaction guaranteed on any work we do for you!
* If you have a smart thermostat, you can control your home’s temperature from your phone or PDA – contact us today to learn more about smart thermostats for your central Massachusetts home).