Mini-Split A/C Maintenance: 6 Tips
Ductless air conditioners (also called mini-split air conditioners) are some of the most efficient cooling options available today – but they’ll only stay that way if you maintain them properly.
While you’ll want to leave most routine A/C maintenance to a professional, there are some steps you can take to keep your ductless system functioning properly.
Caring for your ductless A/C system:
- Keep the outside clean – Accumulated dust and debris can cause big problems for your mini-split system. Include your A/C in your weekly dusting routine – simply wipe it down with a damp cloth. Also make sure that outdoor vents are free from blockages.
- Give the unit space – Although ductless air conditioners need less space than central air conditioners, they still work best if you give them plenty of room to operate. Try to keep space between the unit and furniture or art, which can gather efficiency-depriving dust. Try to give your mini-split system at least four feet of surrounding space in every direction.
- Clean or replace filters – Clogged filters can reduce the efficiency of your ductless system by as much as 20 percent! Follow manufacturer’s instructions for maintaining your filters, and make sure you clean or replace them at least once a month during the summer.
- Clean the coil and condenser – The outside portion of your mini-split system needs TLC, too. Keep it free of dirt and debris – just make sure all components are powered off before you start your cleanup! You scan use a simple garden hose to spray the unit (just watch the pressure), then dust off any final debris by hand.
- Monitor the pipes – The pipes that let cold air into your home can gather dirt and dust, too. Pipes can also develop leaks. Keep an eye on your pipes from time to time – when you clean your filters, for example.
- Call in the professionals – Most routine maintenance is best left to professionals. Annual tune-ups (included in our A/C Silver Plan) give technicians a chance to look for hose blockages, identify refrigerant leaks, investigate electrical issues, and more – actions that can help you avoid costly repairs later.
Keep your mini-split system running great and avoid costly repairs with COMPLETE routine maintenance. For expert ductless system installation and service in Middlesex and Norfolk counties, MA, with 100% satisfaction guaranteed every time, trust the pros at Needham Oil Complete Heating & Cooling. Contact us today to learn more!