Ductless Air Conditioning 101
You’ve probably seen ductless air conditioners or ductless A/C heat pumps in restaurants and other commercial spaces before – they’re the long, wide units that mount to interior walls rather than windows. But how much do you know about these high-tech, high-efficiency cooling options?
Here are some ductless cooling basics to get you up to speed:
- A ductless (or “ductless mini-split”) system has two parts – an air handler (the indoor unit) and a condenser (the outdoor unit). A single condenser can operate up to four air handlers, creating an efficient, customizable zone cooling system in your home.
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork. This means:
- It can be installed quickly and at a lower cost than a central A/C unit;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house – from room additions to converted attics and basements;
- No windows are required, since the unit installs directly into the wall;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful mold and other microorganisms can breed; and
- You won’t lose energy through leaky ducts (a recent study showed that about 16 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key mini-split advantage is flexibility: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also use each unit’s thermostat to control the energy spent in each cooling zone.
- Unlike window A/C units, a mini-split won’t block your view; all that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your exterior wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range – a big step up from 14-15 SEER window units).
- Mini-split systems are extremely quiet – much quieter than a window air conditioner.
- The temperature in a mini-split system is set and changed via remote control.
Could a Mitsubishi ductless air conditioner or A/C heat pump be right for your home? Let’s talk about it. Remember: Needham Oil Complete Heating & Cooling is a Mitsubishi Preferred Diamond Contractor, so you know that if you choose to install a ductless A/C system in central MA with us, the job will be done right.
Please note: At Needham Oil Complete, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home cooling and heating systems working through this challenging time.