Holiday Heating Trouble? Try These Five Things before Calling for Service
Most of us are looking forward to hunkering down for some quality time with family and friends in our cozy Massachusetts home over the next few weeks.
But what happens if your heating system decides to “take a holiday” this holiday season?
Discovering that your furnace or boiler is down for the count is never fun – especially when it happens on or around Yule time. The good news, if the worst happens, is that Needham has your back with 24/7 emergency heating system repair service.
But before you pick up that phone for our technicians, it’s worth your time to do a little detective work; you may find that your heating problem can be fixed without the hassle and expense of a house call.
If you have no heat, try these five things before contacting us for service:
- Check the fuel level in your tank – if you are out of heating oil, contact us right away for a delivery and system restart.
- Make sure all switches associated with the unit are set for “on” or “start.”
- Check for tripped breakers and blown fuses on the circuit that powers your heating system.
- Make sure your thermostat is set for five degrees warmer than the current room temperature, and that it is set to the “heat” or “warm” setting. Please note: if you have a forced air system (a heating systems with vents rather than baseboards and radiators) and the fan doesn’t go on, if could mean that your burner isn’t igniting – a problem that requires professional service.
- Press the reset button on the burner – but only do it once. Every time you hit the reset button and the burner doesn’t ignite, you are pumping oil into the combustion chamber of your furnace, which can be dangerous.
If your oil-fired heating system still isn’t working after taking these steps, contact us for service right away – our expert technicians will get to the root of the problem quickly and get your heat going again as soon as possible.
For reliable, expert heating system service in our Massachusetts service area, no one beats the pros at Needham Oil & Air. Contact us today to learn more – and Happy Holidays!