Top 5 Cooling Efficiency Tips for the Rest of Summer
Summer is quickly passing here in Massachusetts, but we’ve still got five to six weeks of potential cooling system weather ahead of us (or more, with the crazy weather we’ve been having in recent years). With that kind of time still to come, we thought we’d remind you of some of the best ways to keep your cooling bills under control.
Here are our picks for the top 5 ways you can keep your energy bills as low as possible for the rest of the summer.
- Set it and forget it – Use the timer on your programmable or smart thermostat to run your house slightly warmer when no one is home and when you’re sleeping; you can expect to save about 3-5 percent per day on air conditioning bills for each degree you raise the thermostat, says the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- Take aim at 78 – When you’re home, target a temperature of about 78 degrees – a temperature the Department of Energy says represents the best balance of comfort and energy savings.
- Change those air filters! – We’ve talked about the importance of a monthly check of your air filter at length in a recent blog, but it bears repeating. A dirty air filter cuts airflow, causing your air conditioner to overwork; chronic overwork leads to higher bills and costly air conditioning repairs.
- Make your home A/C friendly – Little changes – like adding door sweeps to prevent conditioned air from escaping, re-caulking outside windows, or adding heat reflecting window treatments – can make a surprising dent in your home cooling bill. Longer-term investments like insulation improvements or duct sealing can also do wonders.
- Take care of needed service quickly – If your A/C is showing signs that it needs service, get it done as soon as possible – the longer you put it off, the more costly your repair is likely to become. If you skipped annual air conditioning tune-up this year, it’s not too late to schedule a service call and get your cooling system back up and running at peak performance.
There’s still plenty of heat left to come in 2018 – keep those cooling bills in check!
If you need cooling system repairs or maintenance – or want to take your whole A/C up a notch with a top quality high-efficiency ductless or central air conditioning system upgrade – we can help. Contact us today to learn more or get a FREE, no-obligation estimate from our team of home cooling experts!