Need Assistance to Pay Your Fuel Bill? Help Is Available
At Needham Oil & Air, we do all we can to take the stress out of paying your heating bills. But sometimes bill paying can be a challenge – if you have recently lost a job, for example, or if money is tight at home.
If you think you will have trouble paying your heating bill this winter, consider applying for assistance from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) – you could be eligible for financial help to get you through this tough time.
Here are four common questions and answers about LIHEAP to help you get the application process started.
1. What is LIHEAP?
LIHEAP is a federal program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. LIHEAP offers several types of help for eligible, including:
- Bill payment assistance
- Energy crisis assistance
- Weatherization and energy-related home repairs
2. What are the LIHEAP program requirements?
To qualify for LIHEAP in Massachusetts, you must be a resident of the state with a monthly household income (before taxes) that must not exceed the amounts indicated on this document.
You must also:
- Be responsible for household energy bill
- Have an active energy account
- Have not received a LIHEAP benefit payment in the previous 6 months
3. What information will I need to apply for LIHEAP**?
- Copies of recent utility bills
- Last four consecutive check stubs for employed household members
- Proof of unearned income (Social Security, unemployment, pension, Disability, etc.)
- Disconnect notice (if you received a shut-off notice from your energy company)
- Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease or deed, etc.)
- Copy of Social Security Card and Driver’s license / photo ID of head of household
- Proof of total members living in your household and their Social Security cards
**Additional information may be required to determine your eligibility for energy assistance
4. Where can I apply for LIHEAP?
To learn where you can apply for LIHEAP in Massachusetts, visit:
Stay safe and warm this winter with assistance from LIHEAP and quality heating oil and propane from Needham Oil & Air. Contact us today to learn more.