What to Do If Your Heat Goes Out
If you find that your heat isn’t working in your Massachusetts home, don’t panic – Needham is there for you with 24/7 emergency service throughout our service area.
But before you pick up the phone to call for service, it pays to troubleshoot your system first to make sure it’s not a simple problem you can fix yourself.
Here are seven things to try before calling for service:
- Make sure you have enough heating oil – your tank should be at least 1/8 full (tip: you can avoid run outs by signing up for FREE automatic delivery).
- Check to make sure all emergency switches are set to “on.”
- Look for burned out fuses or tripped circuit breakers and replace or reset them.
- Turn up your thermostat to at least five degrees above the current temperature of the room.
- Make sure system is set for “heat.”
- Make sure your digital thermostat’s display is working; if it’s blank, you probably need new batteries.
- If none of these fixes work, press the reset button on your burner – but only do it one time (you can flood your system if you do it more than once)!
If you still have no heat, contact Needham and we’ll get a technician to you as soon as we can.
Needham is there for you in an emergency! Contact us and we’ll be there.