6 Ways to Improve Air Quality in Your Home
Did you know that the air inside your home could be five to ten times more polluted than outdoor air?
That’s because today’s efficiency-first homes are more airtight than ever – especially in the summer when windows are often closed for days or even weeks at a time. In an airtight home, chemicals released by carpets, construction materials, industrial cleaners and other sources get trapped, leaving you no choice but to breathe them.
The result? Increased risk for everything from allergies to headaches and chronic fatigue – or even more serious issues like asthma.
But don’t worry: with some easy steps and smarter buying choices, you can drastically improve air quality in your home. Here are some changes you can make today:
- Replace toxic chemical cleaning products with natural alternatives. Read labels and shop wisely. Better yet, make your own –vinegar and baking soda cut grease, clean drains, kill germs, and more.
- Avoid fragrant aerosols and chemical air fresheners. Try using essential oils with a diffuser – an option that contains no air-polluting chemicals. Choose soy- or beeswax candles scented only with pure essential oils.
- Choose low-VOC paint for home improvement projects. Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) can cause eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment. Spend a little extra and you’ll avoid all those issues.
- Add plants. Plants not only look great, they also suck toxic chemicals through their leaves. Plant roots and soil bacteria also remove trace levels of toxic vapors.
- Clean your HVAC system regularly. Clean your AC, furnace, and ductwork to remove allergens and mold.
- Consider an indoor air quality (IAQ) system. A whole house air purifier will remove 95 percent of the dust, dirt, pollen, allergens from the air you breathe , while a whole-house humidifier will keep air at healthy moisture levels to discourage mold and mildew growth.
If you smoke, stop!
Regularly service your fuel-burning appliances to ensure there are no leaks.
Breathe easier with indoor air quality solutions from Needham! Contact us today for a FREE ESTIMATE on a great air purifier or dehumidifier for your home.