What to Consider When Choosing a New A/C System for Your Home
If you’re ready to invest in a new A/C for your Massachusetts home, you’ll need to do some research to know how to get the most bang for your cooling buck. Here are the four factors you’ll need to consider when choosing a new home cooling system.
1. Efficiency – SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) measures how efficiently your A/C makes cold air (think of if like MPG in your car – the higher the rating, the more efficient the unit is). The central air and ductless air conditioners we offer have SEER ratings up to 21 – meaning they more than double the efficiency of an older, 10-SEER unit.
Higher SEER units cost more – about 8-10 percent for every 1-point increase in SEER, all other things being equal. It will take about 3 years to offset the cost of an 18 SEER unit vs. a 14 SEER unit, depending on how much you use it. If you have the money now, investing in the higher SEER unit will pay off down the road.
2. Size – Getting the size of your A/C unit right is well worth the trouble: a properly sized air-conditioning system can reduce energy usage by up to 35 percent.
When it comes to size, remember that bigger is not always better. In fact, an air conditioner that is too big turns off and on too often, which causes wear and tear that can lead to premature repairs.
Factors that need to be taken into account to right-size your air conditioner to your home include:
- Square footage
- House layout
- Quality of insulation and air sealing
- Construction materials
- Sun exposure and shade cover
- Window size, number, type and direction
Remember that there are no rules of thumb that account for these factors! Sizing of your air conditioner is a complicated process that should be done by experienced professionals.
3. Central vs. Ductless – Central Air Conditioning systems are a great way to cool your whole house – if your house has ducts. If it doesn’t, don’t worry – ductless systems can deliver amazing, whisper-quiet performance from a small footprint, with the added advantage of enabling precise control over zone cooling.
4. Discounts – Manufacturer’s rebates and specials on high-efficiency equipment can make an investment in a new A/C system a no brainer – especially if your cooling system is more than 10 years old. Contact us to learn more.