Changes at Home Could Make You Run Out of Fuel
Are you an automatic fuel delivery customer? If you are, then you probably already know that we need to compile important information that allows us to schedule your deliveries accurately and always keep enough heating oil in your tank—no matter how cold it gets!
This information includes:
- The size of your home and its insulation.
- Your heating system’s efficiency level.
- The number of people who live in your home and the size of your fuel tank.
Doing all of this “homework” allows our team to calculate what we call your K Factor, or burn rate. Besides having this important data on hand, we also keep track of degree-days, which indicate how cold the weather has been. Naturally, this plays a big role in how much fuel you actually use. This is how we know when to deliver your fuel, saving you the time of ordering it yourself. (You never have to worry about checking your tank either).
By now, we hope you understand why it’s so important for you to let us know if something changes in your household. Once you inform us of these changes, we can adjust your burn rate—either higher or lower – this reduces the chance of a run-out and also prevents us from delivering fuel before you really need it.
Wondering what changes could affect your fuel use? Here are common examples of what we call “lifestyle changes” that can affect how much fuel you use:
- Keeping the house warmer than usual (because of a new baby or family illness).
- Children moving into or out of the home.
- Parent or other relative moving in.
- Guests staying for an extended period (during the holidays, for example).
- Skipping an annual extended winter vacation.
- Leaving for a long vacation. (If your house will be empty for an extended period during the winter, please set the thermostat no lower than 60°F to prevent frozen pipes. You should also have someone check on your home frequently.)
Please contact us if any of these situations applies (or may soon apply) to your home. When you stay in communication with us, we can make sure that you and your family keep warm all winter long without any surprises.
If you have any questions or concerns about your fuel deliveries, just let us know and we’ll be glad to address them.